Windows 11 comes with a built-in voice typing feature that lets you use your voice to write, text-to-speech, and translate. Microsoft has improved the tool and support for automatic punctuation to be more advanced, smooth, accurate and fast.
Using the Voice Typing feature in Windows 11
The voice typing feature in Windows 11 works automatically across any website or app that includes a text box. You can also attach punctuation marks to your sentences when writing. Here is how to activate it on your computer:
- Open the app or website like Notepad or Google Search.
- Press the Windows and H buttons on your keyboard.
- In the popup that appears, tap the Microphone button.
- Put your cursor in the text box and start speaking so that the system converts what you say into text directly in Notepad or the search box.
To enable automatic punctuation, open the tool as mentioned earlier and then press the settings icon (gear icon) and toggle the button next to the automatic punctuation option to the on position.
Fix Voice Typing Tool Problems
If the tool is not working well in Windows 11 then you need to make some adjustments in the settings. To do this, follow these steps:
- In the main Windows 11 Settings window, click on the Time and Language tab.
- Select the Speech option on the right side of the window that appears.
- On the right, under the Speech language section, select the language of the tool according to your region and language.
- Toggle the button next to the Recognize non-native dialect of this language option.
- Under the Microphone section, tap the Start option.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to fix the problem.
If the problem is fixed but the tool is still not working, you should check that you have an internet connection and that the microphone on your Windows 11 computer is working properly.
And if you have a subscription to a service Microsoft 365 You can use the built-in dictation feature for voice typing in various Office applications. To do this, follow these steps:
- Open an Office application such as a word processor and Word.
- At the top right, click on the Dictate option.
- Press the microphone button and start speaking and the system will convert your speech to text in real time.
- Tap the Settings icon and then select the Auto Punctuation option. You can also choose the language and activate the word filter option.